There's no doubt about it — kids love magnets.
They are one of those iconic age old toys that keep on giving. As an open ended resource, they are both fun and very educational.
Magnets are a classic that have stood the test of time for good reason. Not only are they great fun, and children of all ages love playing with them. But they also have many benefits.
- Language Skills – As children engage with magnets, parents and educators can name the object, shapes or matching words.
- Fine Motor Skills. Magnets are a wonderful tool for practising fine motor skills. Fine motor skills involve the use of the smaller muscle of the hands, and are essential for developing academic skills such as pen grip and using scissors.
- Hand eye coordination - is the ability to do activities that require the simultaneous use of our hands and eyes. Most activities that you do in your day-to-day life use some degree of eye-hand coordination, which is why it's important to ensure that it is as developed as early as possible. Magnets are a great tool for developing hand eye coordination.
- Cognitive skills – Magnets are useful for a range of cognitive skills. Cause and effect- what does the magnet stick to? Problem solving skills - encourage logical thinking both in the short and long-term, and they are mentally stimulating. Early numeracy, such as size and shape of the magnets and counting skills are all cognitive skills used when playing with our Magnet Boards.
- Creative Skills - Magnets are open-ended toys that encourage imagination and story telling. Children love creating magnet stories because the boards and magnet provide the visual imagery to cue children in using their imaginations to construct their own unique story.
- Early Literacy Skills – Magnet boards are great for school readiness skills such as pre reading and writing skills necessary for formal reading and writing in a school environment. Narrative story telling, sequencing of events in a story and recognising words are all concepts that are developed by playing with our magnet boards!
The beauty of our magnet boards is that there are endless play opportunities. Every time they use our magnet boards they can create a different story line or extend on the same story.
Preschoolers have the most fantastic imaginations, and our magnet boards can bring out your child’s own unique abilities.